A presentation to mark the launch of a new project “Critical Infrastructure to Contribute to Stability and Peace in Khorog, Gorno-Badakhshan Autonomous Oblast” was recently held in the hall of the executive body of the state authority of GBAO with the participation of Mr. Yodgor Fayzov, the Governor of GBAO.
The EUR 1,800,000 (TJS 19,342,273) project is being funded by the European Union (EU) and implemented by the Aga Khan Foundation (AKF), the Aga Khan Agency for Habitat (AKAH) and the Mountain Societies Development Support Programme (MSDSP) in close partnership with local government.
Implemented over a period of 18 months (1 October 2019 – 31 March 2021) the project aims to foster peace and stability in Khorog town by improving high-demand public infrastructure and services, strengthening confidence in local authorities, and generating temporary employment opportunities through construction work.
Key activities of the programme:
- Improvement of educational conditions for school children through the construction of the building of the secondary school #5 on Saidmir Abdurahmonov Street in Khorog;
- Provision of access to sports centres for Khorog children and youth through the construction of six sports grounds in Khorog;
- To provide the Bizmich settlement population with potable water through the construction of a potable water system and the connection of each farm to the water supply system through efficient meters for efficient water use;
- Mitigation of the impact of natural disasters through the implementation of a small-scale shore protection project in Sharifobod neighborhood of Khorog;
- Involvement of youth groups and project partners in various activities, such as coordination meetings, trainings, sports and cultural awareness on sanitation, provision of maintenance and sustainable management of established infrastructure that will enhance the impact of this project
During the event, attendees discussed project activities, plans, potential challenges the project team might face and ways to overcome those challenges. At the end of the workshop, Mr. Yodgor Fayzov congratulated everyone with the launch of the project and hoped for the continuation of strong collaboration between the local authority and AKDN agencies in promoting peace and stability and improving the quality of life of people in Khorog.
He also emphasised the importance of ownership of this project by local government and the community and requested government officials to support in time the implementation of project activities in order to be able to achieve results within 18 months of the project’s life.