The Aga Khan Foundation and UNICEF in the Kyrgyz Republic are pleased to announce a call for participation in a conference on “Education for Social Cohesion and Peace” to be held on February 6th 2020 in Bishkek.
The conference aims to facilitate the exchange of knowledge, ideas and research findings on key aspects of education for social cohesion and peace.
It will also provide a forum for policymakers, development partners, researchers, practitioners, representatives of youth development organisations, civil society organisations and other key stakeholders to present and discuss approaches, challenges and solutions to promote and maintain peace and social cohesion. This can be through both formal (curricula-based) schooling available to children and youth, and non-formal (non-governmental, civil society or community-led) spaces of learning and training.
To register as a participant, please send a request before January 21, 2020 to Asel Dorombaeva by email: email@example.com indicating your name and organisation.
The specific objectives of the conference are:
- To generate awareness amongst the relevant stakeholders on the interrelationship between education and sustainable peace;
- To identify approaches and actions for the development of comprehensive education policies and programmes for promoting social cohesion and peace;
- To identify opportunities for partnerships between schools, youth-led organisations, responsible government agencies, NGOs, INGOs in order to enhance formal and non-formal education programmes for sustainable social cohesion and peace.
Participants are invited to offer contributions (research papers, including case studies and best practice examples) in the following thematic areas including but not limited to:
- Education policy: integrating education for peace into education sector plans and policies;
- Peace education curriculum;
- Teacher agency and social cohesion;
- Gender, education, and peace;
- Youth civic engagement and leadership for social cohesion and peace;
- Media as a space for peace education and social cohesion.
The conference is organised in partnership with the Ministry of Education and Science of the Kyrgyz Republic and funded by UKAid.